Okay, so it takes me awhile some times to catch on. When we started our adoption journey we read a lot of books. One of them was The Connected Child by Karyn Purvis. I remember liking and agreeing with the book, but over time my perception was skewed. I was talking to a new friend about a month ago and she mentioned a conference she went to called Empowered to Connect. I quickly recognized it as the works of Karyn Purvis and her team. After asking a lot of questions and hearing her story, I decided I'd better look at the information for myself.
I started rereading The Connected Child, I also found the Empowered to Connect web site, Institute of Child Development site, and Tapestry Ministry site. All with loads if information about how to bring hope and healing to children from hard places.
It didn't take long for us to realize that parenting children who have had a hard life may be more than we can handle. My attitude has been, learn as much as we can, and wait to see what we are dealing with. After this last month of sucking on a fire hose of information from Karyn and her team, my attitude is memorize all this stuff so we have a plan.
We are already using the information we are learning with the boys. I'm blown away by how our relationship with our boys has become more of a team. We are working more together instead of against each other.
I've gone from being scared with no plan to being scared but prepared with a plan.
No comments:
Post a Comment