Our adoptive families journey through life

Our adoptive families journey through life

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Hat Trick

Wow, three weeks in a row. I don't know if I can keep this up, but I will go with it as long as I can. We often times have what I would call bathroom talks. Not potty mouth talk, but talk about bodily functions. One of these happened the other night at dinner. Melanie had just taken a big mouth full of corn, when I started to correct Eli and his inappropriate table talk. I am not sure what I said, but Melanie began to convulse and if it wasn't for a well placed napkin, I am sure we would have seen corn shoot out of her nose. As she jumped up from the table and scurried to the kitchen sink, the boy's and I being the sensitive men we are, took this opportunity to see if we could actually get corn to shoot out of her nose.
We cut loose with a rapid succession of jokes and comments every bit as amazing as the fire fights I saw in the dvd series The Pacific, that I recently watched. Melanie returned from the sink, much to our disappointment, without us witnessing any corn coming out of her nose. She would not confirm or deny if any had. As she sat down and began to laugh with the boys, I sat back in my chair with a smile growing across my face. I was just enjoying listening to them laugh and thinking how nice it is to not only be able to sit at dinner together, but to enjoy our time. To me this was a sign that things are going well.

For Christmas I bought Melanie the book Night Light by Dr. James Dobson and we have been reading it every night since. A couple days after our dinner time experience we read about a wife's countenance. I had a basic idea what they were talking about, but I had to look up the definition. Countenance: the face as and indication of mood, emotion, or character. Dr. Dobson was talking about how you can tell what kind a character a man has and what kind of investment he makes in his family by his wife's countenance.

This is what I was experiencing the other night at dinner. Just to be clear this is not because of me, it is in spite of me. It is a reflection of what God is doing in my life. It is nice to see that even thought I lack perfection, I am headed in the right direction. One of my friends has a saying that I really enjoy, God is good, all the time. My prayer is that I will continue to work hard and not become lazy or complacent. I want us to continue to grow in our joy.
Brent.

No comments:

Post a Comment