Our adoptive families journey through life

Our adoptive families journey through life

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

$590 knife

You might be wondering who would buy 6, 8 and 10 year old boys a knife. Uncle Jerrod? Good guess, but no. Their father? Not a bad guess, but still no. Their very cool mother! Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! Why, would she pay $590 for it though? Well sit back and enjoy the tale of the $590 knife.

The end of May, I took the boys to a few garage sales to see what we could find. The very first sale we got to the boys found a Swiss Army Knife in the bottom of a box. It was only $1 and I thought I was a pretty cool mom buying it for them. Before we got to the next garage sale, I heard Jack say "Henry, that's a lot of blood." I looked back and Henry was wiping his hand on the seat (luckily I had a towel down). He cut his finger with the "cool mom knife". I got it to stop bleeding with a pantyliner and a little pressure. Stuck a band aid on it and went to the next sale. I held on to the knife thinking, they should be old enough for this, I'll just have to give them a little lesson on how to use it. During lunch I gave them a quick lesson and set it on the counter. Later, Jack needed help opening something, so I got the knife to help. Jack found the tweezers and was absolutely amazed and asked me if he could bring it outside to show his brothers. Not learning my lesson, I said sure. Five minutes later he came back in screaming, leaving a large trail of blood. I had him stand with his hand out while I went to get a washcloth, when I returned a large pool of blood had formed on our kitchen floor. This time the pressure and washcloth did not stop the bleeding and appeared to be a little more serious. After spending a hour at the E.R., no more than 5 minutes of that with a doctor applying super glue to Jacks finger. The blood was sealed back in Jacks body and our checkbook was shy of $589. Let's just say, the $1 knife turned into not so good deal. Can you really put a price on memories like this?

1 comment:

  1. Finally catching up on friends' blogs after being in Uganda! This story is so funny! Very unfortunate, but really funny! :)

    ReplyDelete