Our adoptive families journey through life

Our adoptive families journey through life

Saturday, October 6, 2012

FPU Hypocrites

Well, that's an attention getting title.  Not that anyone reads this, but it helps me find things later.  Melanie and I finished our fourth class of Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University on Tuesday night and I am fired up!  As Dave was laying down the smack, it hit me like a hammer, this is God's plan.  Dave doesn't pull any punches, he is constantly quoting from the bible to back what he is teaching.  I don't know if he was preaching more than usual or it was just me, but it really sunk in, this is God's plan.  Dave just put it in a very fun easy way to learn it.  If we continue to use our money in a way that does not align with God's word, we are hypocrites.

As I was thinking about FPU this week, I remembered this quote that I heard on DC Talks Jesus Freak CD, so I looked it up to see who it was that said it.  This is a fantastic and humbling quote.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians: who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle.  That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.~ Brennan Manning

God has been working on me all year about the need for my speech and actions to align with scripture.  If what I am doing or saying doesn't align with scripture I need to change.  If I truly believe God's word then I need to live it.

What has me so fired up about FPU isn't the idea of being debt free with a huge bank account someday, although that's not a bad thing, it's the chance to tell people how and why.  Money is such a huge deal in all our lives. If we are in a position that we are handling our money well, hopefully it will open doors to talk with people about it.  When I do get that chance, I can tell them that I am doing what the bible says and that's why it works.

Trying to be believable,
Brent.

No comments:

Post a Comment