Last week The boys had Thursday and Friday off for parent teacher conferences, so I took Thursday afternoon and Friday off work. Henry and I took a trip to Oklahoma City to do the Passport2Purity study by Dennis Rainey. He recommends doing it as a special getaway that your child will remember, so that is what we did.
Henry talked most of the way to Oklahoma City, which was a pleasant surprise. I finally had to stop him, so we could listen to the first session on the CD. Although he is not big on writing, he never complained about having to fill in the blanks in his work book as he listened to the CD. Once we got to the hotel and settled in we did the activity that went with the first session. We then listened to the second session and did it's activity.
Imagine what could be built with these.
A wall filled with bulk bricks! We spent a couple hours in the store, okay, so maybe it just seemed like it. Henry finally decided on what he wanted to purchase and we headed to the food court. Henry turned down the buy one get one free coney dogs. Much to my dismay. We settled on Hamburgers and tator tots. What a way to cap off the first day of our trip.
We started the next day at 6am, after a not so restful night sleep. Henry doesn't do well out of his room and bed. We ate breakfast and then did session three and it's activity. Then we headed to the pool. Really, we could have probably stayed in town and went to a hotel with a pool. I still remember that being the highlight of our family trips when I was a kid. After getting cleaned up we did lesson four and it's activity and headed out.
The big activity was the Science museum. I think we spent about four hours there and we didn't spend much time in anyone place. We will make a return trip with the rest of the crew at some point. The picture is of Henry getting in the space capsule he got to take a ride in. He also flew a stunt plane. He missed out on getting to ride a Segway, but we will get that in next time.We did session five and it's activity out in the truck in the parking lot. We then headed to our celebration dinner at Mickey Mantle's. Henry enjoyed being dressed up and going to a fancy restaurant. Can it get more manly than eating a big steak together? I also gave him a Lego knight to remember the weekend together.
Dennis Rainey did a great job with this study and I would highly recommend it. Henry is a little on the young side, it is made for 11-13 year old pre junior high, but he will be 11 in May. We had some great conversation and it was nice to hear Dennis reinforce some things we have already been teaching the boys. My prayer is that this will be another tool that points him to God and his plan for Henry's life. I also pray that it is the beginning of good communication between us.
Brent.

No comments:
Post a Comment